dimanche 29 juin 2014

How to - Rear compliance bush (n/s)

This is a retrospective guide to changing a rear passenger side compliance bush, as some of you have asked me how I did mine. I changed mine a couple of weeks ago taking only a couple of photos, so I have been out today and taken some more.







Hopefully this guide will help save you some time, it took me 6 hours but I didn’t do things in the same order as below :)







I will assume you can do various jobs along the way, since you are tackling this in the first place. E.g. removing the wheel, brakes , cleaning bolt threads before you try and undo them etc etc...







Step 1) Remove the engine cover. I didn’t do this until I needed to but it gives you better light, so I would do it at the start. It’s not crucial but will help when removing the engine support arm bolts.







Step 2) Use axle stands and remove the rear wheel







Step 3) Remove the brake calliper and disk, this will help when removing the trailing arm.







Step 4) Remove the upper bolt from the drop link.















Step 5) Remove the trailing arm. Start with the 2 bolts at the hub end, they should come out easy.







1 at the top















And 1 at the bottom















Then remove the large bolt going through the bush. This is where I had my first issue. The nut came off easy, but the bolt was stuck in the rubber bush. I had to use a socket extension bar and with my trolley jack, I forced the bolt out from underneath. Yours may come out easy...







From above











From below











Step 6) Now you should be able to remove the trailing arm, without realising you need to remove the brake calliper and disc ;)







Step 7) Remove the engine support arm. You will need to support the engine. I did this using my trolley jack. You only have to take the weight of the left side (nearly forgot this bit lol).







There are 2 bolts at each end and 1 in the middle. The 2 at the rear require the engine cover off and should not cause any issues as they are relatively rust free.















Similarly the one in the middle (engine mount) should come out easy.















Tip – Mark this bolt as I got it mixed up with the bracket bolts, which delayed me at the end.







The other 2 which are essentially holding the bush in place, may cause you problems...



The nearside bolt is the larger of the 2 and is easily accessible, so should come off with no real problems.















The second, which is difficult to see from under the wheel arch is smaller and if rusted (which it will be) will be difficult to remove. Again this is another reason to remove the engine cover, as there is clear access from above.















This nut proved to be the most difficult part of my job. It required constant heat whilst a second person (my dad) loosened it very, very slowly.







Step 8) Now to remove the bush. It will only come out one way, which is from above. Without pictures it is difficult for me to explain. You will think by looking at it, it wont come out.



From memory you need to slide it towards you slightly, then rotate it upwards whilst tapping it from underneath. A bit of giggling and it will come out.







Suprisingly the new one just falls into place without any effort.







Now put everything back in reverse :)







The only thing for me to mention here is that when you replace the large washer (seen below) it will look like it needs to slot into the groves in the bush. It doesn’t, it sits on top of the bush. I had to check this by looking at the offside bush.















I think that covers everything? It’s difficult to remember every detail of the job now...







I hope this helps whoever takes the job on. Feel free to add things that may help further as I have no doubt missed things.







GOOD LUCK!!





from the last news http://ift.tt/1wZODHX

via IFTTT

Libellés : ,

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil