mercredi 2 juillet 2014

Loud, violent clanking / knocking from left front area

I've had a noise come and go the last 6 months, more often lately. It reminded me of the ticking/rumbling of a worn CV joint (partly related thread post here: http://ift.tt/1pIWfie ).



Mine is a '96 Rover 620Si 2.0 (VIN: SARRHYLBNAM19xxxx) - LHD.



I never figured this one out - it was lingering for a longer time, then a few days ago it got (progressively) REALLY bad on my ~10 mile way home. The nature of the sound has also changed. It wasn't really clearly definable before, but I guess I can explain it better at its current state:



It's coming from the left hand side up front. It seems to me to appear either once or 2 times by every revolution of the wheel/axle (estimating wheel revolution "on the go" is a bit tricky for me). It doesn't matter if I'm turning or going straight any longer. It's loud as ***** now, downright scary. I could clearly see people on the sidewalk turn their heads, 4-500 meters ahead. Stopped 2 times to check, and evaluate if I should dare drive any further. We just need it to last through next winter, and my GF is used to the proper worn-out Rovers creaks, clinks and clonks - but now she asked me to stop and let her out so she could walk the remaining 3-4 miles. Its that bad.



It completely goes away if I accelerate moderately or hard - very light acceleration does nothing. Seems momentum related, as I don't need to accelerate much speed - just put enough torque/load on it. Same happens if I brake moderately or hard - but not if braking lightly. It returns the instance I ease off the accelerator or brake. Its also there if just rolling - any gear or neutral, clutch or no clutch.



The sound is clearly something hard (likely metal) on metal, and the "clonks" can be felt in every particle of the car. The sound "feels" like someone is using a pull hammer on the axle through the hub - violently slamming it against the hub.



My jack is broken, so I'll need to get a new one before I can check what's up. Its the bus intil its fixed where it stands. First thoughts are either the large driveshaft nut is coming off, or the drive shaft support bearing have broken off.



Any ideas what could cause this?





from the last news http://ift.tt/1lyFnSS

via IFTTT

Libellés : ,

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil