samedi 29 novembre 2014

Carbon Fibre door trims for sale

Hi guys

After many months talking about I finally got off my bum and got a couple of sets of carbon fibre door trims finished. These are the door trims at the top of the TF and MkII F doors which are normally black plastic or painted alloy.

I fitted one today and took a few photos.



Please note, these are real carbon fibre, not dipped or skinned. I made a mould from an old pair of trims and then used the mould to make these.















These photo's were taken with a flash as it was getting dark by the time I was taking them so the weave is standing out more than it would normally, and the contrast with the rest of my black trim is greater. The second last photo is probably more like they really look and I suspect they would look awesome on a car a cream interior.



Here is a thread in another forum where I showed the process to make them.



http://www.talkcomposites.com/12151/...eywords=alibro



So a few questions and answers

1. Are they perfect?

Err no. They are not perfect and if you look at them closely you will see marks from the moulding process and as I am not a professional painter the lacquer isn't perfect either, but having said that I am being super critical as once fitted you would have to look very closely to see the faults.



2. Ok so they're not perfect but do they look good?

Oh yes, they look great. The difference between real CF and having parts dipped is enormous. CF has a depth and a 3D quality that dipping or wrapping in vinyl doesn't have.



3. Are they a perfect fit?

Mmmm not quite perfect but as you can see from the photo's pretty close. They might need a little fettling to get them to fit perfectly.

When making a mould it is very difficult to replicate the exact shape of the area where the door handle trim mates with these trims so I did the best I could without spending many more hours looking for perfection.



4. Are they lighter than standard?

LOL, Yes, the originals are 125g each and mine are around 90g so should knock a few tenths off your 0 - 60 time.



5. Did it take long to do them?

Yes! many hours and a fair bit of money was spent on materials. Having said that I didn't do this for the money but more for the challenge and the fun. If I was a professional I could make them much more quickly but for the moment this is just a bit of fun.



6. How much are they?

I made two pairs and one came out a little better than the other so I am asking £75 and £60 delivered, now wouldn't that make a lovely Christmas present. :-)





from the last news http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=723345&goto=newpost

via IFTTT

Libellés : ,

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil