mercredi 15 février 2017

Scrapyard visits ... one of my old projects has been terminated.

Five years ago on impulse I bought a tidy Rover 25 with suspect "They all do that". Soon fixed it and used it for a year or so until the next project came along.

Last week, my son phoned me to tell me the car has turned up in a local scrapyard and he saw it soon after arrival before the parts vultures descended. Another p/x taken in by the local Arthur Daley used car dealers who no longer see old cars as nice little earners. My son was one of those parts vultures and as the car had good alloy wheels in the same style as those on his Rover 25, with good tyres, he removed two and was delighted with the price ... twenty quid each. Bargain. They have cleaned up well.

Needing something from an MG ZS there, I went along yesterday and saw the sad little Rover 25.... missing lots of stuff including the rear hatch door. Good that it will keep other cars going. The engine was a real gem... However that was four years ago. Here is the car:~

I needed a spare 17" Straight Alloy Wheel for my MG ZS. That car came without even a space saver when I picked it up new back in 2003. Just a can of stuff. Fat lot of good that will be for my wife who mainly drives the car. After removing all four Wheels from the scrap MK1 MG ZS, it was lifted by one of the staff using a fork lift, I checked all four wheels and kept the best of the bunch. Here it is after a clean up. :~

Today took it along to the garage I sometimes use and they removed the half worn tyre which looked OK but, you never know. They fitted a UNIROYAL Rainsport 3 205/45 17 XL ( XL = extra load ) to match all the other tyres on the car at a reasonable price. I can rest easy now when she's out and about during adverse weather conditions and slippery road surfaces. Rainsports cope well.

I know my wife presses on a bit sometimes even in less than ideal conditions. Twenty odd years ago, me in my MG Montego and she in her Rover Montego 1.6LX passed me on her way to work in very slippery conditions. I was just another car to her and she did not know it was me when I spoke to her about it later. We had about two inches of snow overnight and my senses through the steering and seat of my pants feedback told me grip was near non-existent that cold morning. She's a competent driver though.

Got a few useful small items for the family cars to. A productive visit both days.

Fresh arrival at the same scrapyard today a MK 2 MG ZS with L-Series. Had four good wheels and tyres... Falkens with decent tread. They will not be there long. Last set I bought like that cost me £80 for all four ... bargain. The single 17" ZS wheel with half worn tyres cost me £15 yesterday. Another bargain. Here's the MK11 ZS :~

I usually check that yard every two weeks for anything interesting particularly for my current project MG ZTs. Sometimes draw a blank but the past two days were worthwhile visits. Only two Rover 75s there and no MG ZTs. Both 75s were V6s. I removed a coolant hose from one V6 as it can be cut to suit as a replacement on my ZT 1.8t with ageing coolant hoses. Nothing lasts forever ... sadly.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Scrapyard visits ... one of my old projects has been terminated.

Libellés :

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil