lundi 30 juin 2014

Head lamp coating problem

So, I did a stupid thing...



Whilst cleaning tar and overpaint off my bodywork with paraffin, I managed to smear some on my headlamp units.



Do not do this. Next day the surface was cloudy and crazed where the paraffin had gone.



Easy enough to rectify I thought - T-cut it back to clear. That made no impression. Nor did 1500 wet and dry, nor 600, nor 400. Finally, with 280 grade I was getting somewhere. All this is very tedious of course.



The trouble is, I could see a faint line developing where I was obviously removing some sort of surface coating. Reading around, I think this is the UV coating.



Anyway, I only did part of the headlamp plastic, then went back up the wet and dry grades and finally T-cut it. Although most of the crazing is gone (needs a second go really) I can still see where I've removed this UV coating.



Q: Is this important? I presume this protects the polycarbonate?

Can I get a product to replace the UV coating if it is important?

Has anyone applied a sort of surface coating product which renders crazing invisible, whilst not actually abrading it away (sort of 'wetting' it).



Having seen the cost of new headlamp assemblies, I am not inclined to replace them...





from the last news http://ift.tt/1r6emOn

via IFTTT

Libellés : ,

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil