mercredi 27 août 2014

MGJohn's MG ZT superb "Bodge" comes undone.

Although I completed the work on this 2nd MG ZT project car sometime ago, I've kept it SORN off road. Use the other one instead.



Just occasionally starting it and getting the engine up to operating temperature to keep fluid and other things moving including climate control and AirCon etc.



Leave it running for a while with bonnet raised and occasional blips on the throttle. Did this today and imagine my surprise to see huge clouds of steam from the engine compartment. Must have blown a gasket or something.



No, wasn't anything like that... phew!



Sheepishly peering through the steam from the area it was coming from showed my "modified" ~ OK bodge :) ~ little hose to the turbocharger had separated jetting coolant straight onto the now hot Exhaust Manifold and Turbocharger. Hence all the steam.



It had worked well so far but, although I had obtained a good used replacement, as I was not using the car fitting that was not a priority. Today it became a priority ..:)



See attached images. These little coolant hoses, less that six inches long, retail in excess of fifty quid if Rimmer Bros price lists are to be believed! So, when working on this car and found a split on that hose where it attaches to the turbocharger ~ they are clamped tightly and suspect heavy handed attempts to remove in previous ownership caused the split in the clamped area ~ decided to make up a good one using a short length of household 15mm Copper Pipe and two good off cuts from other coolant hoses of suitable diameter to make up a serviceable replacement at small cost. I was pleased with the result but, with twenty-twenty hindsight I could have made it more secure. Clever me had used a single wide Jubilee style worm drive clip bridging over the join of the two pieces of hose. That was my mistake. Had I used two narrow Jubilee Clips either side of the join rather than bridging it with a single wide one, that would have been a better stronger and more secure option.



Anyway, fitted the good used replacement. Then filled and bled the system and all appears well now after starting the engine and warming it up. Glad it happened in front of my garage rather than say out on a Motorway had I decided to put the car back on the road.



So, in some ways, what happened today was rather fortunate. It's an ill wind and all that ... ;)



The first image shows where my three piece hose had separated. The second the "bodge" alongside good, used replacement and the final picture the good used hose in place.








from the last news http://ift.tt/1tdbC3f

via IFTTT

Libellés : ,

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil