mardi 30 septembre 2014

214 SI fuel supply problem

Hello



I am new to the forum and new to Rover cars, so thank you in advance for any help you may give me. I've worked on my carburettor fueled 40 year old motorcycle for the last 20 years, but fuel injection and engine management systems are all new to me.



I bought a 1992 K reg 214 Si last week. 60,000 miles, recent new head gasket, SPI and catalyst.



It had been dry stored for six years after my friend's father passed away. Two years ago it was recommissioned for a relative, who then changed their mind. The work done was a new head gasket and middle exhaust box and it went through an MOT test.



When I collected it last week, we put a new battery and half a tank of fuel in it (1/4 in there already) and it started and ran beautifully - for the first 30 miles - then, after decelerating down a hill for a junction, the car stalled and would only re-start briefly, but as soon as the accelerator pedal was released it would stall again. After a few tries, the engine would crank freely, but would not fire. I called out the AA - their man tested for spark and said that the distributor and rotor needed replacing. He found that the rotor was was siezed onto the cam nose, so he towed me home.



After a couple of days I was able to take the time to cut the rotor off and replace it and the distributor cap. There is now spark, but the engine doesn't catch or fire.



Yesterday I removed the fuel filter, petrol dribbled out, but not under any pressure, so I attached a hose to the fuel filter inlet, ran it into a bucket and cranked the engine. About an 8th of a pint of fuel ran out of the pipe and then stopped. This happens every time you turn the ignition key off and on.

I blew through the fuel filter and despite the fuel coming out being dirty, there was no real resistance. The spark plugs looked good - tan and in good condition, but no evidence of any fuel having got to them.



I then poured neat petrol into the throttle butterfly housing and turned the ignition. The car starts and runs really nicely and evenly for a few seconds before the fuel is used up.



From looking at the haynes manual, I've located the intertia fuel cut-out switch and pressed it in (not sure if it was triggered), this made no difference, now I am going to have a look at the fuel pump relay.



If you have any suggestions, I would be really grateful to hear them.



Many thanks



Sam





from the last news http://ift.tt/1otR8g9

via IFTTT

Libellés : ,

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil