mercredi 27 juillet 2016

New ROVER 25 Project for my Dad - (Great time to buy a 25)

DAY 2 - Fixing the NigglesGot up early to get cracking, the car needs a major internal and external
clean but I really could not be bothered, just wanted to get the screw
drivers out and raid my spare parts stash to fix the niggles.

Front indicators
I replaced the drivers side and replaced the bulb, major paint overspray
and it was generally dingy, the passenger side cleaned up with brake
cleaner.

Numberplates
I removed the front plate, covered in overpsray and it was original, as was
the rear but it was badly delaminated and looked awful.

Parcel Shelf
The shelf has a broken lug and it has been like that for some time sagging
into the boot and has ended up bent into an odd shape so I replaced it
with my old shelf from my 25, its been in the garage for 12 years lol.

WIRING WOES
The previous owner had an upgraded sound system as there are signs they
have removed it, badly, only one front speaker works and the rear speaker
wiring has been mullered, I fixed the wiring as the plugs were missing but
the speakers have been blown, so the head unit had popped them and the
speakers were replaced, they have wired LED's into the side light feed but
used tape, they have been removed and the wires soldered and heat shrink
applied, the bootlight wiring was also cut to bits and the light itself was
missing, I fixed the wiring and fitted a switched lamp unit with a 21w bulb
as the 10w doesn't cut it, plus its switched so you can use it as required.

Radio & Speakers
The original radio was long gone, in its place is something that has just
been thrown in, some random Panasonic jobby with no surround, I took it
out and threw in my 25X's original proper factory ROVER Blaupunkt, looks
miles better, sounds great through the one working speaker lol.

I will be fitting the the rear speakers out of my 25X, they are still in place
as I use them when I remove the MDF shelf with the JBL meadly in them
but they are redundant 99% of the time, just need to investigate the
drivers speaker.

MISC Dash Bits
Asides the head unit I also fitted a heater speed control knob, it was not
there for some random reason, the metal clip was there so I popped it off
and fitted it into a spare knob without one, speed 3 is not working so that
will be a jobs for next week, I have one resistor kit left so happy days.

No cigar lighter insert, again the parts bin is fruitful, fitted it, tested it, the
thing got to temp then flew out into the passenger footwell lol, as the
centre console need to come out to fit and new gear gaiter which is tatty
I will fit a 12v socket as no bugger smokes these days, shame really as the
bulb still works.

Lights and Bulbs
The bulbs didn't work in the following items, I have fixed them all.

Front and Rear sidelights, front N/S and rear O/S were out, I have loads of
LED bulbs lying about so I fitted 9 SMD chip Warm White 501's to the front
lights and 19 SMD chip Red LED bulbs to the rear, looks OEM but nice and
bright.

Bootlight (The light itself was missing)

Main Interior Light (No bulb fitted, was probably LED and removed)
I fitted a nice bright cool white 48 LED panel I had lying around.

Numberplate lights, they were wet inside from the dent in the bootlid, lots
of blue corosion, only one was working, I cleaned up all the contacts, dried
out the seals and wiped the lenses, I popped in a couple of used but nice
and clear glassed bulbs, will pop in warm white LED's once the dent is
fixed.

The Clock bulb, Hazard Bulb and Front Fog bulb were all out, I had loads
of spare grain of rice bulbs left over from LED conversions, I will tweek
them more over time but the dash fully lights now.

Weird Boot Lid Rattle
As it says, the lid rattled, I removed the internal trim and found a brass
bolt inside, it was one of the 3 holding the wiper motor, I refitted it but
one is still missing, it was probably de-wipered or replaced at some point
but I will find a bolt in my fixings tubs but for now its solid.

MISC Bits
Under the bonnet is mint and very tidy, the fuel filter looks new and the oil
is a good colour, engine is well serviced, I will do a minor service next week
once the bits arrive, the airbox is in place and all the original clips are still
there so no indiction kits have been fitted by the looks of it, I took out the
resonator tube, just coz I can OK !

The power steering and coolant labels were missing, I had spares, looks
much better with them.

MISSING TRIMS
Tweeter Covers (LeRich is on the case)
Front Door Handle Covers (Will dig out spares in my pile)
Door Lock Pin Trims (Need all 4, anyone help ?)
Passenger Seat Mech Lower Cover (I have one, somewhere)
Rear Parcel Shelf Lug Seat Metal Retaining Clip (Again anyone got one ?)
Most the boot carpet clips but I have spares

NEXT LIST OF JOBS
Where to start, lots to do but asides the clutch nothing major.

Clutch kit fitted.

Oil & Filter
Air and Pollen Filter
NGK Platinum Plugs and New Leads
Air Con Leak Check and Regas

MAJOR valet, might do a separate thread on detailing the car just to see if
you can polish a turd, yes I know Mythbusters say yes but you know what
I mean lol.

Any comments, hints, tips, suggestions, help, spare parts and general "you
were ripped off" ribbings are most welcome, I will post up updates soon.


Last edited by ROVER-25X; Today at 00:55.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



New ROVER 25 Project for my Dad - (Great time to buy a 25)

Libellés :

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil