lundi 27 juin 2016

Changing the IMG, is it doable?

All my question is in the title.
I know that lots of skilful mates here are going to chuckle with my silly question!
But I'm not a mechanic, even careful and meticulous.
Reading the Hayes manual, I see there are lots of hoses and sensors and bolts to get off in that operation. It doesn't look small beer...

But here are the facts.

My oil is clean & neat (changed 2 months ago) without any leak and without any smoky exhaust, a very steady 90°C temperature, and a good average 45/47mpg. So IMHO no HGF.

But the coolant has a little leaking problem when the engine is running (going down from maxi to mini within 1,000 km, but nothing sensible within 200 km) and no leak at all when remaining in the garage. No trace on the ground, no trace under the bonnet around the engine which is very dry & clean.

Moreover I see at the top level in the expansion tank around the edge of the coolant some sticky traces of old oil, but no evolution at all since I bought the car last year. I guess there may have been a HGF in the past (my 25 1.4 is now 14 years old) which was cured (maybe within the 3 years warranty), the HG changed, but the cooling system may not have been cleaned properly and the IMG not changed.

So I suspect now a little IMG failure and that a little coolant may go in the cylinder #1 (as indicated by Mat - DMGRS - on his IMG page), which could explain I can't see nothing outside.

Hence my question about changing the IMG (I have already got new black one). If necessary, I shall be helped by a old skilful friend (but not a mechanic by trade).
And I intend to clean the coolant system as well of course before renewing it.
What do you reckon?

Many thanks.


Last edited by Dorchester; Today at 14:59.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Changing the IMG, is it doable?

Libellés : ,

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil