dimanche 27 novembre 2016

Engine rebuild

I am in the middle of stripping down the original engine that came with my scrapyard car as my early winter project and I have some questions.

The liners seem to be level with the block and, as far as I can tell, each other (I plan to recheck). Am I better to fit shims to the bottom of the liners and use the MLS gasket or stick with the updated MG rover elastomer gasket? If I fit shims, I will need to take the pistons out and that means disturbing the shells, the crank etc. I'm prepared to do all that but I would appreciate some advice. The head looks to be level according to my straight edge and feeler gauge. It looks like the elastomer gasket, that was in place, failed.

If I take the pistons out, do I need to replace the bolts at the crank or am I able to re-use these?

The engine oil was fairly manky. Should I replace the bottom rail or is it possible to clean it and re-use? I'm about to take the sump off today and don't yet know which version of the rail is hiding there. If it's the older one, I plan to replace it anyway.

Lastly, what are the current arrangements for tightening head bolts? I saw somewhere a figure in nm (that I can't find right now for some reason) followed by 180 and a 2nd 180 turn? I thought it was 90 turns and a higher torque setting. So I'd appreciate latest advice.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Engine rebuild

Libellés :

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil